What information do we collect?
We primarily collect personal information that is necessary for us to conduct our business. Our business includes the supply and promotion of products and services relating to natural gas. Personal information has the meaning given in the Privacy Act and includes any information that can be used to identify you such as:
- Your name, occupation and contact details (address, telephone numbers and email address) and details of the relevant property address;
- Information about your dealings with us or about our services;
- Other personal information you may disclose to us when you contact us or request information from us, or which is contained in communications between you and us.
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
We usually collect personal information in the following ways:
Directly from you, via one of our Sites when you, for example:
- submit an enquiry to us;
- use a Site (including by means of a link to a site).
We may hold personal information in hard copy and electronic files.
If your personal information is no longer needed, Australian Gas Networks will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify it.
Collection of information from our Sites
When using a Site, you may voluntarily disclose personal information to us. We may also automatically record details such as your internet address, domain name if applicable, and the date and time of your visit to our Site.
We may combine information collected by means of cookies and similar technologies with personal information we have collected by other means. We may use this combined information to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what products and services may be of interest to you. By accessing any of our Sites by using any link emailed to you, or where you have otherwise identified yourself, you consent to the collection of such information where it is personal information.
In addition to web server logs, we also use third party web analytics, reporting and statistics services, such as Google Analytics and Hotjar, to improve the performance and usability of a Site.
Hotjar uses a tracking code embedded on our Site(s) and cookies to collect non-personal information, including standard internet log information and details of the behaviour patterns of Site users upon visiting our Site(s). This information (including your IP address captured and stored in an anonymized format) is transferred to and stored on Hotjar’s servers in Ireland. Hotjar does not hold your personal information.
Why do we collect personal information and what are the consequences of not providing us with the information requested?
Generally, we collect personal information about you:
- to provide or improve our customer service by responding to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently;
- to communicate with you in writing, by e-mail, telephone or via the Sites.
Our ability to meet our obligations to you, your business or to process any application, request or query may be adversely affected if you do not give us the requested personal information, or if the information you give us is incomplete or inaccurate.
How do we use your personal information?
In general, the personal information we collect is used for the primary purposes for which it was collected, namely to provide and manage our products and services in the ordinary course of conducting our gas distribution business. We may also use personal information to:
- manage our relationship with you and improve the services we provide;
- provide you with information in relation to our business that you request;
- send periodic emails, for example, to respond to questions and/or other requests; and
- enhance and personalise your experience with us by, among other things, understanding how you use our Sites and services and the resources provided.
We may also use your personal information for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to use your personal information for that secondary purpose.
Your personal information will not be used for direct marketing.
Automatically Collected Information
In general, we may also use information collected passively from your computer by technologies such as cookies to help improve our services and our Sites.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We will only disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected or in the following circumstances:
- to companies within the About Us page of this website who are responsible for managing the website in order to respond to a request for information;
- to digital agencies who provide website hosting, website administration, analytical services to us;
- where required or authorised by law or otherwise as permitted under the Privacy Act;
- where you consent or have authorised the disclosure; and
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
How secure and accurate is your personal information?
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information we hold is:
- accurate, relevant and not misleading;
- stored in a secure environment; and
- protected from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
These steps will include appropriate levels of security for our systems and providing training for our staff who have access to personal information. We use SSL technology on our websites and encrypt the data we store on them. In addition, we take reasonable steps to de-identify or securely destroy personal information that is no longer required by us.
We take these precautions in an effort to protect your personal information against security breaches. However, this is not a guarantee that such information may not be access, disclosed, altered or destroyed by a breach of such security controls. By using our Site and our services, you acknowledge that you understand and assume these risks.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
We seek to ensure that all personal information collected is accurate and complete. You have a right to access personal information we hold about you.
We will comply with any request to access your personal information except where the Privacy Act prevents it. There is no fee for making a request to access your personal information. You also have the right to ask us to correct information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse to correct your personal information as requested, we must:
- Notify you in writing of the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and how to complain of the refusal; and
- Upon request from you that we associate a statement that the information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading, take such steps are as reasonable in the circumstances to associate such a statement so that it will be apparent to users of the information.
Links to other websites
How can I contact Australian Gas Networks?
If you have any questions or complaints about how we handle your personal information, you can contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
Mail: Geoff Barton
PO Box 6468
HALIFAX STREET SA 5000
E- mail: email@example.com
We will consider and respond to any complaint notified to us within a reasonable time, usually 30 days. We will always endeavour to resolve any complaint to the satisfaction of both parties.
Australian Privacy Commissioner
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry or complaint, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on Tel: 1300 363 992 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does renewable gas mean for me?
Find out what the change to renewable gas means for you.
When will I get it?
It’s already being delivered to parts of Australia. Learn how it’s being rolled out to the entire network.
What’s being done now?
Many countries around the world are embracing hydrogen to deliver a renewable energy future. Find out how.